Historic Buildings

Pontyclun has a number of interesting and historic buildings across all of our villages. We have nearly 30 listed buildings in our community, most of which are of Grade 2 significance

Information about the main ones are detailed below. To see the additional information that we have click on the name of the building

  • Chimney stack of old Lead mine at Cefn-parc Farm
    This grade 2 listed building is in a field to north west of Cefn-parc farm, on the ridge overlooking the A4119 and Llantrisant. Local children have over the years referred to this as “The Witches tower” Probably built in the 18th Century it is a rare example of a surviving building associated with lead mining in the vale of Glamorgan The chimney is made of […]
  • Miskin Manor
    Miskin Manor is a Victorian manor house built in around 1864 and designed by David Vaughan of Bridgend for David Williams. It incorporates part of late 16th-early 17th century manor house. It lies just off the A4119 to the south west of Miskin village. The manor, and many of the features within its walled garden was listed as Grade II by Cadw in 1976, amended […]
  • Miskin Mill
    Miskin Mill is located on the Hensol road just outside Miskin. There has been a water driven corn mill here for most of the last 400 years. Since 1929 the site of the mill and the area around it has been in continuous use by Scouts for camping and training purposes. There are three buildings some over 250 years old, ‘The Mill’ with kitchen, eating […]
  • Mwyndy House
    Mwyndy House lies just off the A4119 roughly opposite Corner Park garage. It was probably built in the first quarter of the C19 and was first shown on the 1841 Tithe map, at which time it was a farmhouse. It is a late Georgian two-storey house comprising of a three-bay central range (the original house) with two higher bays on the left side and a […]
  • Pantaquesta House
    Pantaquest House lies just off Hensol Road on the way out of Miskin, a few hundred meters after you pass under the M4 Pantaquesta House was built by Colonel H Watson c.1891. During the 1920s it was owned by Stuart Martin who is said to have altered the service range, and he may have been responsible for adding the Art-Nouveau veranda to the garden front. […]
  • Pontyclun Community Centre & Cafe 50
    Built by Taff Ely Borough Council in 1994 after a great deal of pressure by Pontyclun Community and Borough Councillors, on land purchased by public donations in memory of Doctor Gordon Jones. It replaced the original centre which was built in the 1930’s by the unemployed of the area. Originally it was a Community Centre in one part and a Day centre for the elderly […]
  • Pontyclun Institute Athletic Club
    Pontyclun Institute and Athletic Club comprises of a main building with bowling green and car parking behind. It can be found on Castan Road in Pontyclun. The institute was built by Godfrey Clark in 1910 to help enrich the social and cultural lives of the residents. Godfrey Clark was the son of George Clerk the Ironmaster who built Talygarn House. He was an industrialist, Justice […]
  • Pontyclun Masonic Hall
    The Masonic Hall in Pontyclun is near to the War Memorial. It has held meetings since 1920 – The Warrant of Constitution was on the 13th July 1920 and it was consecrated on the 12th November 1920 For more information about the history of the community of Pontyclun please visit our online museum
  • St Anne’s Church, Talygarn
    St Ann’s church lies on the south side of Brynsadler. It was built in 1887 to designs of G.T.Clark of Talygarn House, well-known antiquary and the manager of the Dowlais Ironworks, in memory of his wife Ann Price Clark (d.1885) (details on memorial tablet). Designed in a generally Perpendicular style with Decorated east window, it consists of three-bay nave with porch, lower and narrower chancel […]
  • St David’s church Miskin
    The present church, dedicated to St David, the Patron Saint of Wales, was built in 1907 to replace a corrugated iron church which was built in 1878. It is situated in the centre of Miskin not far from the War Memorial. Funds for the building of the church were raised by public donations and events, notably the Grand Fete at Miskin Manor which raised over […]
  • St David’s church, Groesfaen
    Saint David’s Church, Groesfaen was consecrated in AD 1892 by the Bishop of Llandaff, and is the “daughter church” of St. Catwg’s in Pentyrch. There is an hypothesis that the Church was built by the local gentry to rival the church built by Judge Gwylym Rhys-Williams in Miskin. The Dunnes of Croffta and the Martens from Henstaff Court were the benefactors. The church is built […]
  • St Paul’s Church, Pontyclun
    St Paul’s church was built in 1895 at a cost of £1600. Built by Mr John Morgan of Pontyclun from plans drawn up by ecclesiastical architect E M Bruce esq. The funds were raised by public donations with G T Clarke of Talygarn donating about £400 of the total. The church, initially known as St Paul’s church at Llantrisant Station, was licensed for worship by […]
  • Talygarn House
    A large country house in free Gothic style. Built mainly in the period 1879-82, by George Thomas Clark, a distinguished scholar, engineer and ironmaster, it has snecked rock-faced stone with lighter stone dressings and slate roofs. The interior is mainly in early Renaissance style – venetian craftsmen were brought in to decorate the interior of the house, and the carved panelling, ornate staircases and painted […]
  • The Barn – old public house
    The original farmhouse here, called Mwyndy Bach dates back to 1570. It was probably a long Welsh house with cowsheds attached covered in thatch. Later the walls were raised to make first floor bedrooms with a stone tiled roof. In 1988 the agricultural barn was converted to a country pub and restaurant. To the rear sits a detached cottage built in the late 1600s for […]
  • The Ivor Arms
    The Ivor Arms was built in about 1855 by William Morgan of Caergwanaf farm in Miskin (also known as Billy Caergwanaf) The initial house warming was on 12 July 1855 It is belived that the name comes from either the name of the ground landlord at the time of building (Ivor Bertie Guest) or from the fact that the local Ivorites met at the pub. […]
  • War Memorials
    Pontyclun War Memorial The monument is in the form of a Celtic ring cross with tapered shaft on a chamfered, slightly tapered pedestal mounted on a square, tiered base, three steps up. The cross and all sides of the shaft are covered in interlace decoration except for a memorial panel (to the fallen from Pontyclun in both world wars) on the front (north) face of […]

More information

Cadw (the Welsh Governments’s historic environment service maintains a list of all listed properties and hold details ind information for them all. You can view and download information from Cadw records here.

In addition Coflein which is the online catalogue of archaeology, buildings, industrial and maritime heritage in Wales has more information and images and maps. You can go to the Coflein homepage here where you can browse for information

If you just wish to look specifically for buildings, the Coflein list for each part of our community can be found at the links below

Buildings in Pontyclun (care this search also includes some buildings with a Pontyclun postal address but not actually in Pontyclun)

Buildings in Talygarn

Buildings in Brynsadler

Buildings in Miskin (care this search list includes buildings all places in Wales called Miskin and not just the one in Pontyclun)

Buildings in Mwyndy

Buildings in Groesfaen

We have also produced a short guide to historic Welsh house names which you can find here